The western Wetterstein - in 2.5 days via the Alpspitz-Ferrata and the Riffelscharte to the Wiener-Neustädter Hütte and the Zugspitze (2962m)
The western Wetterstein is scenically dominated by the shapely triangle of the Alpspitze, the Riffelköpfen and of course the Zugspitze. In between are beautiful valleys, sparkling lakes and wonderfully scented pine fields. On our 2.5-day tour we move on via ferrata and alpine paths through this magnificent landscape and crown our effort with the ascent of the Zugspitze (2962m).
We start in the morning with the Alpspitzbahn to the mountain station Osterfelderkopf. After a short check of our via ferrata equipment we march to the Alpspitz-Ferrata. Well secured, it goes steeply uphill on the iron pins and brackets to the summit, where we let our eyes wander from Starnberger See to the white peaks of the main Alpine ridge. As descent, we choose the Alpspitz west ridge down to Grieskarscharte and continue through the rocky Mathaisenkar (difficulty B/C) to the new Höllentalangerhütte. There we enjoy the amenities of the new cabin and spend the night there.
Today an early departure is important, because we have some plans. From our overnight accomodation we first go slightly uphill. then steeper, until we reach the beautiful meadows of the Riffelscharte. These tempt us just lay down a bit, relax and unwind. A temptation that we love to indulge before it's called "care" again! The following via ferrata is not difficult, but still requires our concentration, before we come back on an alpine trail. This we descend to the stop Riffelriß of the Bavarian Zugspitzbahn. There is enough time for photos, because without nobody at home would believe that the water of the Eibsee is Caribbean blue. Before we tackle the final ascent to the Wiener-Neustädter Hütte, we relieve our rucksacks for a little more provisions. We spend the night at the beautiful Wiener-Neustädter Hütte.
Since we have the long day before still in the legs, we begin today a little quieter. After breakfast, we start with the summit storm. On the ascent to our final via ferrata, the Stöpselzieher, we cross scree fields and, depending on the season, snow fields. Concentration and a via ferrata set are still mandatory here. Arrived at the top (around lunchtime) we can fully relax, because the only thing left is the descent on the rack railway back to the parking lot.
The committed via ferrata are to be evaluated in terms of difficulty as follows:
- Alpspitz-Ferrata: easy via ferrata -> category A/B
- Mathaisenkar -> category B/C
- Riffelscharte: easy via ferrata -> category A
- Stopselzieher via ferrata: easy via ferrata -> category A/B
After booking the course, each participant will receive a detailed map with parking, an equipment checklist and other information about the tour.
Information about the tour:
- Duration: 2.5 days
- Meeting point: Parking lot of the Alpspitzbahn in Garmisch
- Minimum number of participants: 4
- Extra cost:
- to the Osterfelderkopf 18,- €
- Descent from the Zugspitze 36,- €
- Hut overnight stays about 75 €
- Included services: Guided tour by state-certified mountain and ski guide + instruction in handling via ferrata equipment
- Included rental equipment: Complete via ferrata equipment including helmet, harness, via ferrata set
Requirements for the participants:
- Condition: daily approx. 5 - 7 hours on the ascent and descent in alpine terrain
- Technique: Sure-footedness, no fear of heights
- Others: first experiences in via ferratas
- ankle-high mountaineering boots
- weatherproof clothing
- light backpack
- Country: Germany / Austria
Bei dieser Tour handelt es sich um eine Führung.
Die Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen für Kurse und Führungen finden Sie unter folgendem Link: