The Große Waxenstein (2277m) is imposing and clearly visible from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It`s an ideal lookout mountain with little traffic. The steep, exposed not easy to find trail makes the Waxenstein a great challenge for every mountaineer. With the knowledge of our local mountain guides, this ascent to the beautiful summit will be a fantastic experience.
Meeting point is at the hiking car park in Hammersbach. After the welcome and an equipment check, we ascend through the Höllentalklamm to the Höllentalangerhütte. Here we will take a short break and gather our strength, before we follow the trail opposite the hut. On narrow grass bands and through small gutters we climb up in the difficulty ridge II. After crossing the Schafsteig we climb through the Waxenstein channel to the summit at 2277 m.
There we are rewarded for the efforts, fabulous views into the depth and a fantastic views on the Eibsee, Ammergau Alps, Zugspitze and Alpspitze. In the descent we follow the Schafsteig to the Riffelscharte. Here weg et consstantly challenged - steep and exposed leads us the trail through the southern slopes of the Waxenstein ridge. From the Riffelscharte back to the Höllentalangerhütte, and than over the Stangensteig and the iron bridge back to Hammersbach.
information about the tour:
- duration: 1 day
- meeting point: Hammersbach hiking car park
- max number of participants per mountain guide: 2 persons
- additional cost:
- Höllentalklamm: 5,00 Euro
- parking fee: 10,00 Euro
- included services: Guided tour by state. Gepr. Mountain and ski guide
- rental equipment included: Complete climbing equipment incl. helmet, climbing harness
- requirements for participants:
- Condition: 6 -8 hours Walking
- Technique: sure-footedness, a head for heights, easy climbing in alpine terrain
- recommended Equipment
- mountain boots (suitable for climbing)
- weatherproof clothing
- lightweight backpack
- food and drink